Thursday, November 25, 2010

Our Children Are Our Greatest Teachers

It's Thanksgiving Day.  I awoke to fearful thoughts of the money crisis we are currently in, wondering how we'll make it to payday and whether my new business will ever get off the ground.  We need a new car or at least the old one fixed, more groceries, more this, more that...

And then I came out and flipped on the Sprout Channel with my kids so they could get their morning Wilggles Fix.  Across the bottom of the screen, Sprout has been running letters from children about what they're most grateful for, and here were some of their answers:  One little boy was grateful for his toys.  A little girl was grateful for her little sister because she loves her and plays with her.  A brother/sister team was thankful for people in general "because everyone counts!"   The kids were writing in thanks for families, friends, pets, the fact that they get to go to school and that they have Thanksgiving dinner.  One little girl was even grateful to have the use of all her five senses!

So what was I bitching about?

I thought more about this and realized that in addition to my "good God, we're not filthy rich" woes, this is what else I woke up to this morning:

A warm bed
A roof over my head
A precious son running into the room in Christmas Cars pajamas, tousled hair and a big happy "HELLO Mama!"
Another precious son out in the living room giggling happily while the love of my life played Tickle Monster with him
A turkey dinner waiting to be prepared
Heat, electricity and running water

Mommy - 0  Kick in butt - 1

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!  Let's take a cue from our children and really appreciate the "thankfuls" that REALLY count!

No comments:

Post a Comment